Friday, March 19, 2010

Sess. 7, Topic 4

After taking the Multiple Intelligences assessment, share one of your identified strengths and tell an activity appropriate to that strength.
Tell how this can apply to the classroom.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I scored the highest in nature with a 4.29. I truly love the great outdoors!! My favorite outdoor activity is camping, which includes BBQs. I am a morning person and I always open up the blinds when I wake up. I think natural light is important, including in a classroom setting – open the blinds and windows.

    I think it’s important to . . .
    ✝ teach our students the importance of recycling
    ✝ have a “green” classroom
    ✝ hold class outside when it’s appropriate
    ✝ fill the class with house/real plants
    ✝ have a class pet
    ✝ grow a small garden
    ✝ reward students with outdoor picnics
    ✝ talk about the weather and different seasons
    ✝ sing nature songs
    ✝ take nature walks
    ✝ read books about nature

    ReplyDelete
  3. I scored equally high in SOCIAL and BODY MOVEMENT. i enjoy learning by listening to others ideas and participating in group discussions. Also I learn best when movement is involved and I am not sitting in the same place for too long. I can incorporate this into the class by encouraging team learning and cooperative groups. Additionally, I can use the Total Physical Response philosophy in teaching whenever possible. I am sad that in many schools PE is something teachers just don't get around to. I will make a concerted effort to plan a fun game or PE activity twice a week for a half hour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I scored highest in body movement or kinesthetic. The kinesthetic means I like to move and luckily for me most elementary students do to. I hope to use many of the suggestions for kinesthetic activities in my classroom. One is have students write into the air with their arm. This can be used in both Language Arts and Math. Changing the location of where activities take place as well as the materials used to record students thinking can help. One of my favorites is using shaving cream on a desk to practice letters or sitting under a tree to write a story. I also think of the song angle song I had you all sing with the hand motions in Todd's EL class. I hope to always find ways to mix up the day and allow students who need it to have that bit of movement in their day. When I think back on my elementary school experiences some of the activities I remember most involved movement of some kind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I scored highest in Self and I am definitely an intrapersonal gal. Being reflective and taking all things into consideration before responding is very important to me. Observing and learning through trial and error are also important. I want my kids to know that its okay to make mistakes as long as they try their best and keep pushing until they reach their final goals.


    Being reflective is one of the reasons why I believe journal writing for students is so important. My students will keep a personal journal where they can free write and learn to express themselves in a healthy manner. I will also have them do plenty of Pre-writing activities and brainstorming before writing. I will encourage critical thinking by having my students analyze subjects such as literature through engaging questions; I like to keep those wheels turning! Some activities for observation and trial and error would be looking at cloud formations, bird watching or any type of nature walk, hands-on science projects and incorporating the scientific method whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My identified strength is Social Intelligence (Interpersonal) with a whopping score of 4.71, which probably surprises no one who knows me. No wonder I loved my undergraduate studies as a Communication major. Second was Intrapersonal coming in a close second with 4.57. I enjoy developing ideas and learning from other people, especially my classmates. Yes, I like to talk and use my (hopefully) good social skills. Effective techniques for enhancing the learning environment include taking part in group discussions (more talking!), or discussing a topic one-on-one with another person. In order to capitalize on this strength, I will use ways to incorporate reading and writing exercises into cooperative learning activities. In the classroom, I will offer activities such as Reader’s Theater, class plays, and cooperative learning centers. Team learning and investigating projects will also be a good activity, with me setting up interview questions and having the students interview other classmates or family members, then reporting their research findings to the class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My top intelligence is body movement (kinesthetic learning). I learn better when I get to move. I enjoy sports and in general, being active. I can use this intelligent in the classroom by getting the kids up and moving to learn something. I understand that being active in the classroom takes more time, is louder, and needs lots of boundaries and directions to work cohesively. I like to be creative with my teaching, and think of ways to help a student better their focus and learning time.

    Some ways to use this intelligent in the classroom is by having the students write a new word in the air with their finger or on a neighbor’s back, demonstrating vocabulary or spelling words by acting them out, or by using students to stand up and be part of the math problem.

    We need to remember that this one learning style is best incorporated with auditory and visual to have a student fully grasp the concept being taught.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The results of this survey are very interesting - such a variety of personalities. All of you had great ideas as to how you could use your own strengths in your teaching. My strength was in music which was why I always incorporated a lot of music into my classroom. Using your own strengths in your teaching creates strong and innovative lessons.

    It is important to remember that the students in your class also have a variety of learning styles. All of them do not learn the same way you do. For this reason, we need to explore our weaknesses as well as our strengths. We need to be aware of the learning styles of each of our students and be sure that we incoporate activities that are helpful to those who have a different learning style from our own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My multiple intelligence strength was nature (naturalist) with a score of 4.29. The activities suggested to use in the classroom that I liked the most were working in a garden and going on hikes.

    I really like the idea of growing a small garden with students (or just growing plants in the classroom). This activity would be very rewarding for students who learn this way. I also appreciate that other subjects can be incorporated in this project. For example, students can be required to keep a journal of their observations, the growth of the plants can be plotted on a graph, and they can practice using the scientific method by making a prediction about the plant before they get started.

    I also like the idea of going on hikes with students. I have been on two desert excursions with students this semester and they loved them. The hikes give them a chance to see up close things they have been reading about in books. As the textbook suggests, I would have my students sketch or take pictures of specimens and write about them in a journal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I scored the highest in the social interpersonal with a 3.43. I really liked the suggestions that were made for the classroom. Some of their ideas were:
    * Take part in group discussions or discuss a topic one-to-one.

    * Read a dialogue or a play together.

    * Do team learning/investigating projects.

    * Set up interview questions, and interview your family. Write the results.

    * Write notes to one another instead of talking.

    I really like the team learning and investigating projects idea. I think that most students really benefit from structured group projects. As long as everyone knows their role, a team effort is usually a great experience.

    I could apply this to my classroom by coming up with a project and assigning roles for them to carry out. This would help to breakdown superficial barriers that my students put up against one another and could also get them interacting with peers they wouldn't otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My results revealed a strength in musical learning. I enjoy rhythm and sound and connect it to just about everything. I can easily incorporate this into everyday classroom experiences through associating different concepts to catchy rhymes or quick little songs. The kindergarten classroom I'm in right now is really a great example of this where they sing short songs that remind them of simple rules ("every sentence starts with a capital...") and rhythmic saying that incorporate clapping and hand motions to remind them how to spell their sight words ("here", "and", "this", etc). I have seen how effective it is for the students in providing a great support for their learning.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.